ASK: American colleges that support feminism?
Because I live in England, I don’t know that much about American colleges… apart from the fact that the American education system seems to be so much better than over here - there’s hardly ANY feminist/gender studies courses over here.
But I did find this helpful list on the Smith College website (which I know is a good women’s college in MA actually!) of different gender/feminist studies courses offered around the US: http://www.smith.edu/swg/graduate.php
American followers - got any good college suggestions??
- ohnoheather answered: I know someone doing women’s studies at Emory and they absolutely love it!
- wordslanguageartlove answered: Cornell University in Ithaca, NY- Great feminist, gender, sexuality program
- higgityshmiggity answered: I’ve heard the University of Virginia at Charlottesville has a good gender studies program. Hope that helps!
- little-trouble-grrrl answered: sarah lawrence college
- introverts-unite likes this
- chezrose answered: try looking into women’s colleges. personally my favorite was smith college.
- poemnerd answered: Hollins University in Roanoke, Virginia. We are a women’s college that is very supportive of feminism. :)
- sitmedownshutmeup answered: Vassar College! It was a Seven Sister, but it’s co-ed now, but it still has a feminist student body and a great women’s studies department.
- woolenmilk answered: Hampshire College and Bennington College.
- smallskeletals likes this
- trustyourmechanic answered: University of Oregon
- thingsofthespirit answered: GO TO EVERGREEN in Olympia, Washington. Others are Sarah Lawrence, Vassar College, Wesleyan, most city schools.
- suzielightning likes this
- glitterrrrbitch likes this
- thecatinglasses said: I second the Smith recommendation, but I’m a little biased (class of 2007). I would look into any of the women’s colleges & Sarah Lawrence and Vassar. Also, find out where writers you like went to school. You can message me for my email, for more advice.
- 191t likes this
- planetnymph said: I’m in the feminist studies program at UCSC and we’re one of the oldest in the States, the class I’m in right now focuses a lot on intersectionality, and the community in general tends to be feminist-leaning and fairly open minded.
- singandsail answered: Mills College! A women’s college in Oakland, CA with a huge focus on women and gender studies and other social justice issues.
- marslipstick said: Goddard college
- adoravalentina likes this
- allieeew likes this
- ard-nos likes this
- solidbutter likes this
- larastonesboobs answered: Barnard College. I don’t go there, but i have feminist friends who do and absolutely love it
- rachelhasawolfsmouth answered: Boston University!
- canndo answered: Barnard in NY would be good for US based. But regarding your point, I know Goldsmiths and York have a strong feminist profiles (among others)
- roughguess said: Lol I went to smith and it has the oldest women’s studies/gender studies program in the country. Also they intentionally infuse feminist ideas about teaching and the history of women into all courses.
- mslonelyhearts answered: Wesleyan University has a great Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program, that’s where I study!
- duhdoydorothy answered: Mills College, Oakland CA
- grassbabe likes this
- fatalismulier answered: CUNY Brooklyn has a great activist community and a really great Gender Studies department.
- cat-halftime answered: university of vermont has a wonderful gender and sexuality studies program, and lots of social justice support on campus!
- nuestrahermana answered: Mills College - California
- italicizedvagina likes this
- girlsgetbusyzine posted this