Let me talk to you about books.
Specifically, one book. This book.
This book should be a best seller. This book should be required reading for graduating from high school. Before you get that diploma, you read this book.
This book deals with debunking “Neurosexism,” which is a very fancy term for all of that evolutionary psychology bullshit that people spill about those “brain differences” between boys and girls.
This book debunks such myths as:
- Boys are better at math than girls
- Women make crappy lawyers/business CEOs/etc, as their brains are not cut out for aggression.
- Men make crappy counselors/primary school teachers/primary parents/etc, as their brains are not cut out for empathy.
- MEN ARE BUILT FOR GOING OUT AND HUNTING WHILE WOMEN ARE BUILT FOR STAYING HOME AND BABYMAKING IT’S NOT SEXISM IT’S JUST BIOLOGY
- And many other such myths.
Furthermore, this book covers topics such as:
- Neurosexism and gender perceptions in multiple races (as this is not a singularly white experience, just as the western world isn’t a singularly white experience)
- Sex discrimination in the workplace, and how women are (or, more often, are not) allowed to behave
- How science is used (badly) to support many of these claims
- Experiences of trans* people, both through interviews and empirical studies.
AND FINALLY - It is all brilliantly researched, cited, compiled - and it’s easy to read! Cordelia Fine actually manages to be funny while writing this, which I think is important, because it makes all of this information infinitely accessible.
Delusions of Gender has reinforced what Oberlin taught me: The gender binary is stupid and arbitrary, and dangerous. And it is a self-perpetuating bias that needs to be addressed to be overcome.
- mimiako likes this
- davestrideshere reblogged this from karkat-the-spookfairy
- the-gay-box reblogged this from obakeluv
- poro-for-president reblogged this from allthemyriadthings
- allthemyriadthings reblogged this from yj-lover
- keepyourhandonyourgun reblogged this from evilfeminist
- argumentativeredhead reblogged this from lord-kitschener
- hananekochanp likes this
- stillauniverse reblogged this from betterthandarkchocolate
- a-little-knight-music likes this
- morthai likes this
- oh-shit-not-you-again reblogged this from thug-kouhai
- captainhaventthefoggiest likes this
- kobayashimarooned likes this
- thug-kouhai reblogged this from 9084095343
- idworkforabstergo likes this
- wandamaximoffofficial reblogged this from exorcisenotexercise
- wandamaximoffofficial likes this
- drinkdakoolaid likes this
- exorcisenotexercise likes this
- exorcisenotexercise reblogged this from don-tdisthesonic
- bustedbussy likes this
- agent-plumpy reblogged this from timeylorde
- agent-plumpy likes this
- timeylorde likes this
- timeylorde reblogged this from don-tdisthesonic
- sirwalruscat likes this
- sirwalruscat reblogged this from don-tdisthesonic
- barmy-harmy reblogged this from don-tdisthesonic
- barmy-harmy likes this
- don-tdisthesonic reblogged this from waltzingbears
- monsterburd reblogged this from dysphoricdavestrider
- reinos likes this
- kamamwendawazimu likes this
- aleatoryw likes this
- lazerfae likes this
- dost-thine-ear-droop likes this
- puis-rien likes this
- companycoffer likes this
- motherofallprocrastinators reblogged this from mypandemonium
- mypandemonium reblogged this from srsizzness
- ofbonesandskin reblogged this from proverbsforparanoids
- amazingrobotgirl likes this
- proverbsforparanoids reblogged this from cj-logan
- queerflesh reblogged this from time-less-vintage
- hufflepuffinthetardis likes this
- fivesides- reblogged this from pleuviophile
- ladylyannaofwinterfell reblogged this from princess-ackerman
- emilylovespeace likes this