Let me talk to you about books.
Specifically, one book. This book.
This book should be a best seller. This book should be required reading for graduating from high school. Before you get that diploma, you read this book.
This book deals with debunking “Neurosexism,” which is a very fancy term for all of that evolutionary psychology bullshit that people spill about those “brain differences” between boys and girls.
This book debunks such myths as:
- Boys are better at math than girls
- Women make crappy lawyers/business CEOs/etc, as their brains are not cut out for aggression.
- Men make crappy counselors/primary school teachers/primary parents/etc, as their brains are not cut out for empathy.
- MEN ARE BUILT FOR GOING OUT AND HUNTING WHILE WOMEN ARE BUILT FOR STAYING HOME AND BABYMAKING IT’S NOT SEXISM IT’S JUST BIOLOGY
- And many other such myths.
Furthermore, this book covers topics such as:
- Neurosexism and gender perceptions in multiple races (as this is not a singularly white experience, just as the western world isn’t a singularly white experience)
- Sex discrimination in the workplace, and how women are (or, more often, are not) allowed to behave
- How science is used (badly) to support many of these claims
- Experiences of trans* people, both through interviews and empirical studies.
AND FINALLY - It is all brilliantly researched, cited, compiled - and it’s easy to read! Cordelia Fine actually manages to be funny while writing this, which I think is important, because it makes all of this information infinitely accessible.
Delusions of Gender has reinforced what Oberlin taught me: The gender binary is stupid and arbitrary, and dangerous. And it is a self-perpetuating bias that needs to be addressed to be overcome.
- didsomebodysayhetalia reblogged this from british-burgers
- rosaioko reblogged this from tallalexadventures
- treefrog100 likes this
- inkensistent likes this
- smellofhome reblogged this from chromaluv
- smellofhome likes this
- artnaniteris reblogged this from pansiesrosemaryviolence
- blackfelineclaw reblogged this from lgbtgivesmehope
- astearia likes this
- come-chill-with-me likes this
- laugh-at-theodds reblogged this from liveoutsidethelines
- troyantony reblogged this from angersexual
- anxiouscervidae likes this
- kirigii likes this
- somethingslammin likes this
- angersexual reblogged this from chicken-buddha
- angersexual likes this
- thatkidinthesky reblogged this from edmondia
- thatkidinthesky likes this
- fishfingersanddeductions likes this
- rannisuta likes this
- i-mpickingupthepieces reblogged this from lgbtgivesmehope
- dandelionofthanatos likes this
- londoncrownjewels likes this
- edmondia reblogged this from splinteredstar
- lorvikatarri likes this
- razzle-dazzlez likes this
- judasingucci reblogged this from lgbtgivesmehope
- hoshizora-wo-koete likes this
- adventuresinmiddleclass reblogged this from hinsabbies
- ppchu likes this
- katiez97 likes this
- maadphilosophiiical likes this
- grumplicious likes this
- tayuchan likes this
- yuumori reblogged this from mechanicalelephant
- sketchyhands likes this
- laugh-at-theodds likes this
- vaginaflappyflap reblogged this from richardupyourass
- i-am-weird-everyday likes this
- egcmi reblogged this from lgbtgivesmehope
- isekiasami reblogged this from revolutionringleader
- isekiasami likes this
- idaho-gurl-please-udaho reblogged this from lyanxin4
- samsuglypurpledogshirt likes this
- i-amlokiof-asgard likes this
- peacelovepenguinssunshine reblogged this from lgbtgivesmehope
- faerilee likes this
- jezebuilt likes this
- revolutionringleader reblogged this from george-devalier-fangirl