Let me talk to you about books.
Specifically, one book. This book.
This book should be a best seller. This book should be required reading for graduating from high school. Before you get that diploma, you read this book.
This book deals with debunking “Neurosexism,” which is a very fancy term for all of that evolutionary psychology bullshit that people spill about those “brain differences” between boys and girls.
This book debunks such myths as:
- Boys are better at math than girls
- Women make crappy lawyers/business CEOs/etc, as their brains are not cut out for aggression.
- Men make crappy counselors/primary school teachers/primary parents/etc, as their brains are not cut out for empathy.
- MEN ARE BUILT FOR GOING OUT AND HUNTING WHILE WOMEN ARE BUILT FOR STAYING HOME AND BABYMAKING IT’S NOT SEXISM IT’S JUST BIOLOGY
- And many other such myths.
Furthermore, this book covers topics such as:
- Neurosexism and gender perceptions in multiple races (as this is not a singularly white experience, just as the western world isn’t a singularly white experience)
- Sex discrimination in the workplace, and how women are (or, more often, are not) allowed to behave
- How science is used (badly) to support many of these claims
- Experiences of trans* people, both through interviews and empirical studies.
AND FINALLY - It is all brilliantly researched, cited, compiled - and it’s easy to read! Cordelia Fine actually manages to be funny while writing this, which I think is important, because it makes all of this information infinitely accessible.
Delusions of Gender has reinforced what Oberlin taught me: The gender binary is stupid and arbitrary, and dangerous. And it is a self-perpetuating bias that needs to be addressed to be overcome.
- queen-0f-moons likes this
- air-maroney likes this
- bent-charm reblogged this from the-page-mistress
- the-page-mistress reblogged this from invadermak
- destielfanboy reblogged this from invadermak
- destielfanboy likes this
- niffty24 reblogged this from dorianpink
- niffty24 likes this
- emeraldcitydead likes this
- gendergem likes this
- sarahmanings reblogged this from invadermak
- keparoo reblogged this from invadermak
- october-faye likes this
- invadermak reblogged this from dorianpink
- sercullenthelionheart likes this
- linearcorrelation likes this
- dorianpink reblogged this from hollyand-writes
- hollyand-writes reblogged this from foxghost
- echoes-of-realities likes this
- deadlylittlekate reblogged this from thedetectiveunderthestairs
- deadlylittlekate likes this
- sgri96 likes this
- derpythedragon reblogged this from batlesbo
- frnge reblogged this from gendeerfluid
- child-of-the-mask reblogged this from thedetectiveunderthestairs
- icklemisschocolate likes this
- thedetectiveunderthestairs reblogged this from satan-i-swear-i-was-invited
- thedetectiveunderthestairs likes this
- inappropriatelysizeddinosaur reblogged this from drinkyourfuckingmilk
- inappropriatelysizeddinosaur likes this
- memento-4-mori reblogged this from lupin-t-cat
- memento-4-mori likes this
- lupin-t-cat reblogged this from satan-i-swear-i-was-invited
- hopesholes likes this
- hopesholes reblogged this from princekenkaneki
- klaineharmony reblogged this from lookninjas
- satan-i-swear-i-was-invited reblogged this from princekenkaneki
- itscursorbby reblogged this from princekenkaneki
- princekenkaneki reblogged this from dreamersollux
- the-fault-in-our-gentials reblogged this from darthempress
- slothroyalty likes this
- likeawraith likes this
- yourenotfab likes this
- tyratrinidadwritinginliterature likes this
- thedancingbutler likes this
- marys16th likes this
- marys16th reblogged this from lemonsweetie
- august-songs likes this