Let me talk to you about books.
Specifically, one book. This book.
This book should be a best seller. This book should be required reading for graduating from high school. Before you get that diploma, you read this book.
This book deals with debunking “Neurosexism,” which is a very fancy term for all of that evolutionary psychology bullshit that people spill about those “brain differences” between boys and girls.
This book debunks such myths as:
- Boys are better at math than girls
- Women make crappy lawyers/business CEOs/etc, as their brains are not cut out for aggression.
- Men make crappy counselors/primary school teachers/primary parents/etc, as their brains are not cut out for empathy.
- MEN ARE BUILT FOR GOING OUT AND HUNTING WHILE WOMEN ARE BUILT FOR STAYING HOME AND BABYMAKING IT’S NOT SEXISM IT’S JUST BIOLOGY
- And many other such myths.
Furthermore, this book covers topics such as:
- Neurosexism and gender perceptions in multiple races (as this is not a singularly white experience, just as the western world isn’t a singularly white experience)
- Sex discrimination in the workplace, and how women are (or, more often, are not) allowed to behave
- How science is used (badly) to support many of these claims
- Experiences of trans* people, both through interviews and empirical studies.
AND FINALLY - It is all brilliantly researched, cited, compiled - and it’s easy to read! Cordelia Fine actually manages to be funny while writing this, which I think is important, because it makes all of this information infinitely accessible.
Delusions of Gender has reinforced what Oberlin taught me: The gender binary is stupid and arbitrary, and dangerous. And it is a self-perpetuating bias that needs to be addressed to be overcome.
- timespentinlosangeles likes this
- halfheartedheroine likes this
- jared-padalovely reblogged this from feministbeauty
- rosie-sully likes this
- the-earl-of-ceylon reblogged this from andrewcentrism
- ebb-tide-explorer likes this
- psi-brainshock likes this
- totalspacecadet reblogged this from faetrouble
- eponinethenarclier reblogged this from lysandrogynous
- pjsbooklist reblogged this from tooothaches
- fagter likes this
- 3bucksahit-x reblogged this from vulcan-vulva
- vulcan-vulva reblogged this from faetrouble and added:
- ciscosyndrome likes this
- i-m-w3 likes this
- ladycastanea reblogged this from zephyrial
- ladycastanea likes this
- zephyrial reblogged this from make-the-dead-love
- thegracemartin reblogged this from blackyrider
- thegracemartin likes this
- phloxelle reblogged this from blackyrider
- blackyrider reblogged this from make-the-dead-love
- fairytalesmakemesad reblogged this from make-the-dead-love
- faroucherevolutionaires likes this
- make-the-dead-love reblogged this from it-am-i
- santaspanker likes this
- sssammich likes this
- allthingsinlifearebeautiful reblogged this from ramblings-of-a-thoughtful-heart and added:
- hellopalespider reblogged this from r-e4d
- theworstblogintheuniverse reblogged this from spoonbending
- rambonerzz likes this
- spoonbending reblogged this from the-dungeonwitch
- thecavalierlady likes this
- thecavalierlady reblogged this from the-dungeonwitch
- corenaming likes this
- the-dungeonwitch reblogged this from ramblings-of-a-thoughtful-heart
- the-dungeonwitch likes this
- stuckinthecrossfire likes this
- egoegoegoetc likes this
- partytiime-excellennt likes this
- thisismybrainrain reblogged this from ramblings-of-a-thoughtful-heart
- ramblings-of-a-thoughtful-heart reblogged this from ilovecharts
- 7h3-4n7 reblogged this from 4u70n0m0u5
- locopanda33 reblogged this from youtubephotoshops
- locopanda33 likes this
- weirdosandjinglecorns reblogged this from mysticspectrum
- wenightfolk likes this
- youtubephotoshops reblogged this from mysticspectrum
- nobleponddoctoroftheshire reblogged this from melonlordofpigfarts
- nobleponddoctoroftheshire likes this